Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Gelding, banding, Castrating and what ya call em!

That title got attention didn't it? I just thought I'd give a basic lesson on what farm animals are called and why. When hubby and I moved out here we had a good bit to learn, and you never know when you'll need the information in conversation!

Cow babies (calves) are called bull calves (male) and heifer calves(female). If the male calf is banded (castrated by rubber bands used to cut off circulation to the testicles) they are called steers. A female is actually called a Heifer until she has her first baby, then she's considered a cow.

Goats
A female is a nanny, a male a buck/billy, unless he's banded, then he's called a wether. All goat babies are called kids.

Sheep, females are ewes, males are bucks/rams, again unless banded/castrated, then they are also wethers just like goats.

Horses babies (foals) are female a filly, male a colt, if the colt is castrated it is a gelding, btw, we DON'T band horses. As they grow the colt not castrated is a stallion. A female when she's over 3 years is known as a mare.

Pigs (I'm still learning these, I haven't raised any yet) but I do know that a female brood pig is a sow, a male breeding pig a boar.

Chickens, we call babies peeps/chicks, when grown they are hens (female) and roosters (males).

K, enough for now?

Now, as for life around here, it's busier than it ever was in the city and we're VERY discouraged right now, it was our turn to call the sheriff! The idiot neighbor on the other side who has 80 acres of their own decided that he had to turf our 10 acre hayfield with his quad runner! I'm am NOT amused! This neighbor kid is nothing but trouble, we've heard him out shooting at 2-3am on many occasions, we're sure he's out shining deer (startling them with a bright light and shooting them). We've been trying to lie low and not have to hassle directly with this kid but he's pushed it to far, this was the 3rd time we've run him off our fields, he's destroying our crops!

On the savings front we've been doing really well but did blow the grocery budget, I had to hit Aldis today to the tune of about 20 dollars for extras for Turkey day. I'm also selling a few things on ebay to put a bit extra in savings and pay down the CC's.

Oh, and Turkey day! Only going to be four of us but we're having our first home grown turkey! I shipped them to the butcher today. I can raise em, cook em and eat em but I just can't butcher em!

Hope I didn't gross anyone out to much :)

KJ

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, K!
I pm'd you from FV with my Email addy. Love the blog. Keep it going!

L

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home