Friday, November 11, 2005

Life on the farm

It's been a busy few days, never a dull moment around here! With working on halter breaking a few young stallions and trimming hooves I'm reminded I'm not a kid any more, man they can do a number on your shoulders and back.

On the savings front I've been able to put off the trip to the grocery for another week, having two full freezers helps keep that bill to the minimum. My biggest concern for the winter though is heating the house, this old farm house is drafty and with the natural gas prices the way they are we're going to be putting the long johns to good use this year. Also going to have to cover some of the windows with plastic which I hate but every penny does count.

For excitement the last few days I've been watching the Jones next door, hey what can I say, I'm easily amused :)

Hubby and I pride ourselves on keeping it frugal and making do with what we have, reusing until there's nothing left, the Jones are just the opposite and it's become a running joke about what they've purchased each week. Our farm is 82 acres and we have 3 barns and a shop, house built in 1910, two older pick up trucks (paid off), 3 tractors (older and paid off) and various equipt to run the farm (again, all paid off)

The Jones? Ahh, they have 14 acres, a brand new super fancy huge barn brand new huge house, 3 quad runners, 3 trucks/suburbans, 2 tractors, a brand new steiner mower with all attachments, an ez-go cart (think golf cart on steroids) etc, etc, etc. And their place is lit up like a Christmas tree at night! All the porch lights, lights on the barns, lights in the house, lights in the sheds, 24/7 like a little city! In the last few weeks I've watched a big gazebo be delivered for the pond area, the ez-go cart and the last thing (I about DIED laughing!) a pontoon boat! Now this boat was probably 16" feet and their pond is so small that boat is going to meet itself going in circles! I'm not coveting their things, I'm just laughing at the way people have to have things, just amazes me, lol.

We share a lane with this family so everything they buy goes right by my house, I can't miss it :)

I know we drive the Jones nuts because we really "farm" so yeppers, we have noise dust and smells, and HORRERS OF HORRERS yes, we raise beef to EAT! So yeppers, we DO have to run that tractor and spread that manure, oh so sorry for the stink but hey "thats farmin" lol.

BTW, the Jones think that I'm crazy and I LIKE to keep it that way, then they leave me alone! We do wave in passing but conversation has been kept to a minimum, hmmm, could that be because I've threatened to call the sheriff on their friends crossing our land to hunt? I don't care that they walked down the side, it's still OURS and they didn't ask, got it? And she's more than a little scared since I told her that yep, farmers can and DO shoot dogs that harass livestock, it's called the 3s rule, if it's chasing livestock ya shoot, shovel and shut up. Dog, what dog? I didn't see no dog! And no, I haven't shot anyones dog but I'm not telling her that, lol!

KJ

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Saw your blog mentioned at FV and stopped to see. I live in Ohio, too!

I'll pm you at FV.

Graci

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home